* For Treatment: Information obtained by the Pharmacies will be used to dispense prescriptions to you. We may disclose health information to pharmacists and other persons who are involved in dispensing your prescriptions or medical appliances and equipment.
* For Payment: We may use and disclose your health information so that your pharmacy services may be billed to and collected from an insurance company, another third party., or yourself.
* For Health Care Operations: We may use and disclose health information about you for pharmacy operations. Unless you provide us with alternative instructions, we may still send refill reminders and other materials related to your health care to your home. These uses and disclosures are necessary to run the Pharmacies and make sure that you receive quality customer service.
* As Required by Law: We will disclose health information about you when required by Federal, State or local law.
* To Avert a Serious Threat to Health or Safety: We may use and disclose health information about you when necessary to prevent a serious threat to your health and safety, or the health and safety of the Public or another person. Any disclosure, however, would only be made to someone able to prevent the threat.
* Public Health Risks: We may disclose health information about you for public health activities. These activities generally include the following: (1) To prevent or control disease, injury or disability; (2) To report reactions to medications, vaccines or problems with products; (3) To notify people of recalls of products they may be using; (4) To notify a person who may have been exposed to a disease or may be at risk for contracting or spreading a disease or condition; and (5) To notify the appropriate government authority if we believe a person has been the victim of abuse, neglect or domestic violence. (We will only make this disclosure if you agree and when required or authorized by law).
* For Health Oversight Activities: We may disclose health information to a health oversight agency for activities authorized by law. These oversight activities, which are necessary for the government to monitor the health care system, include audits, investigations, inspections and licensure.
* Lawsuits and Disputes: If you are involved in a lawsuit or dispute, we may disclose health information about you in response to a court order or administrative order. We mays also disclose health information about you in response to a subpoena, discovery request or other lawful process by someone else involved in the dispute, but only if efforts have been made to tell you about the request (which may include written notice to you) or to obtain an order protecting the information requested.
* For Specific Government Function: Corner Drug Stores may disclose health information for the following specific government functions:
(1) Health information of military personnel as required by military command authorities; (2) Health information of inmates, to a correctional institution or law enforcement official; (3) in response to a request from law enforcement, if certain conditions are satisfied.
WHEN CORNER DRUG STORES MAY NOT USE OR DISCLOSE YOUR HEALTH INFORMATION
* You have the right to request restrictions on certain uses and disclosures of your health information. Corner Drug Stores is not required to agree to a restriction that you may request. If we do agree to any restriction, we will put the agreement in writing, place it in your chart, and follow it, except in emergency situations. We CANNOT agree to limit the uses or disclosures of information that are required by law.
* You have the right to inspect and copy your health information as long as the Pharmacy maintains the health information. Your health information usually will include prescription and billing records. To inspect or copy your health information, you must submit a written request to the store location that provided your services. We may charge a fee for the costs of copying, mailing or other supplies that are necessary to grant your request. We may deny your request to inspect and copy in certain limited circumstances. If you are denied access to your health information, you may request a review of your denial. You have a right to choose to obtain a summary instead of a copy of your health information.
* You have the right to request that Corner Drug Stores amend your health information that is incorrect or incomplete. To request an amendment, you must submit a written request to the servicing Pharmacy location, (your pharmacist will have the form), along with the reason for the request. We are not required to amend health information that is accurate and complete. We will provide you with information about the procedure for addressing any denial of your request.
* You have a right to receive an accounting of disclosures of your health information that we have made after April 14, 2003 for purposes other than disclosures for : (1) Corner Drug Stores treatment, payment and health care operations; (2) to you or based upon your authorization and (3) for certain government functions. To request an accounting, you must submit a written request to the store location providing services. You must specify the time period, which may NOT exceed six years.
* You may request communications of your health information by alternative means. For example, you may request tat we contact you about health matters only in writing or a different residence or post office box. Your request must clearly state how or when you would like to be contacted, and if a particular family member (such as a spouse) is not to receive year end statements for income tax purposes. Unless otherwise informed, married couples may receive an annual report of medical expenses for income tax purposes.
If you would like to exercise one or more of these rights, please contact the store location providing services or submit a written request to the Privacy Officer at:
Corner Drug Stores Zebulon, 303 North Arendell Avenue, Zebulon, NC 27597
Telephone: 919-269-7481 • Fax: 919-269-9998
Corner Drug Stores Wendell, 3430 Wendell Boulevard, Wendell, NC 27591
Telephone: 919-365-8800 • Fax: 919-366-3659
Corner Drug Stores Bunn, 382 West Highway 98, Bunn, NC 27508
Telephone: 919-497-1700 • Fax: 919-497-1777
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
Corner Drug Stores reserves the right to change this Notice. We reserve the right to make the revised Notice of Privacy Practices effective for health information that we already have about you, as well as any information we may receive in the future. Any revised Notice will be posted in stores & internet.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REPORT A PROBLEM
If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you can file a complaint with the Compliance Officer at above address, or with the Secretary of Health and Human Services. There will be no retaliation for filing a complaint.